Orthopedic Surgery is related to the musculoskeletal system. It is related to the surgery of diseases and injuries related to the bones, muscles, ligaments, tenders and soft tissues. It is the complex system of the musculoskeletal system, including bones, muscles, soft tissues, ligaments and tenders, which helps in moving the body. Orthopedic surgery deals with the issue with any part of the musculoskeletal system. For more details, you can consult an ortho hospital in India.
Different types of orthopedic surgeries
- Joint Replacement Surgery: This surgery involves a procedure of removing a damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint to relieve the pain. It generally includes joints of the hips, knee, shoulder, etc.
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopic surgery is a procedure to correct torn ligaments or cartilage damage. In this procedure, a small camera and specialized instruments were put inside to resolve the issue.
- Spine surgery: Spine surgery includes various conditions such as herniated discs, spinal deformities, or spinal stenosis. Correcting these problems through surgery comes under orthopedic surgery.
- Fracture repair: Orthopedic surgeons perform surgeries to repair, realign and stabilize broken bones using different techniques.
- Ligament and tendon repair: Surgeries are done to repair the torn ligaments or tendons present in the knee or shoulder.
- Hand and wrist surgery: Conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, hand/ wrist fractures, etc., need the surgery procedure and come in the ortho surgeon department.
- Foot and Ankle Surgery: Orthopedic surgeons perform surgeries to correct problems such as bunions, ankle fractures, or Achilles tendon injuries.
The procedure of the Orthopedic Surgery
- Preoperative evaluation: Before the surgical operation, some preoperative evaluation will be done in which the patient will go through a physical examination, which generally includes a review of medical history, X-rays or MRI scans, etc.
- Anesthesia: On the day of the surgery, the patient will be laid down on the bed comfortably and will be given Anesthesia later on to make the surgical operation pain-free for the patient.
- Incision: After anesthesia, the surgeon will make an incision to access the affected area. The size and location of the incision will depend on the procedure of the orthopedic surgery being performed.
- Surgical Intervention: Surgical intervention generally means the necessary steps taken by the surgeon to deal with the affected area, which involves realigning fractured bones, repairing fractured bones, removing damaged tissues or replacing joints with artificial implants.
- Closure: When the surgical intervention is done, the surgeon will carefully close the incision by using staples. With the help of proper dressing and bandages on the surgical site, proper protection would be provided to it.
- Recovery: After the surgery is done, the patient is asked to stay in the recovery area for observation to avoid further complexities.
Orthopedic surgeons are trained to perform these surgeries. They analyze your condition closely and perform the surgery according to your situation.
For more assistance can check the Best ortho doctor in India.